Abraham obeyed God whole-heartedly in his time, and He (God) promised to give him and his descendants, the Israelites, Canaan; the land full of milk and honey as a possession (Genesis 17:8). But His promise did not materialize until about 500 years later, because the Israelites disobeyed Him.
Eventually, they crossed River Jordan, and reached Jericho, a great and affluent city on the eastern side of Canaan. There they got stuck, because of the impediment caused by its huge, scary, and impregnable walls. Available archaeological reports showed that its outer wall was 6 feet thick and 20 feet high, and its inner wall was 12 feet thick and 30 feet high. In between the walls was a well-guarded walkway, about 15 feet wide. You can now see that we are not talking about mundane walls here. But God came to their rescue one day, and gave Joshua a fool-proof battle plan, which helped them to overcome the dreadful walls. The plan involved Joshua having the Israelites march around Jericho silently for six days, and loudly on the seventh day. Even though the plan appeared ridiculous, Joshua followed it to the end, till the walls collapsed and they entered/possessed the Promised Land with ease (Joshua 6:1-20).
Like the original walls of Jericho, there are figurative ”walls of Jericho” afflicting people these days as well. Sadly, there are very many of them all over, and they can equally be huge, scary, and impregnable. They also make life extremely difficult for those they afflict, and they can kill if care is not taken! But thank goodness that they can fall down with ease, with the help of God (Luke 1:37). Hallelujah!
Now, let us consider a few of them, and cite bible passages contradicting them, so as to prove that they are really not supposed to be a part of us.
- Sicknesses: ”Beloved, I pray that you may prosper in all things and be in health, just as your soul prospers” (3 John 1:2).
- Childlessness: ”Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord, The fruit of the womb is a reward” (Psalm 127:3).
- Poverty: ”Surely blessing I will bless you, and multiplying I will multiply you” (Hebrews 6:14).
- Hunger: 25 ”…do not worry about … what you will eat or drink… 26 Look at the birds of the air… your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they?” (Matthew 6:25-26).
- Failed Business, Ministry, etc.: ”The Lord will… bless all the work of your hand…” (Deuteronomy 28:12).
- Wayward Children: ”…I and the children whom the Lord has given me! We are for signs and wonders…” (Isaiah 8:18).
- Lack of a life partner: ”…a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh” (Ephesians 5:31).
- Sin: ”…your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit…” (1 Corinthians 6:19).
Having realized that ”Walls of Jericho” are mere aberrations in human lives, I believe you will be interested in knowing how you can overcome yours. Well, to start with, you must admit that you cannot do it on your own (John 15:5). Next, you must not allow them to intimidate you, and you must trust God to fight them for you (2 Chronicles 20:15) through Jesus Christ (John 14:6). Finally, you must prayerfully cast them upon Jesus Christ without delay, since He cares for you (1 Peter 5:7). Before long, He will come to your rescue, and you will see them falling down with ease, and your joy will be full in Jesus name (Matthew 11:28). Amen.
Jesus is Lord!
(c) Dr Adedayo Stoney Adegbulu, 2013