Psalm 118:24 says: ”This is the day the Lord has made; We will rejoice and be glad in it”.
Above is a very popular bible passage which has even been converted to melodious tunes in some climes. But despite its popularity, some folks still frown at it claiming that ‘there are no convincing reasons to rejoice and be glad in any day these days’. At least, not with all the wars, killings, natural disasters, palpable poverty, troubling joblessness, escalating sufferings, sickening corruption, irresponsible and unresponsive governments etc. found across the world. To them, each day should be lamented rather than celebrated!
While we appreciate where they are coming from, we insist that there are many good reasons why we ought to rejoice and be glad every day. To begin with, things as they presently are, won’t last forever and they will benefit us eventually (2 Corinthians 4:17). Besides, each day brings with it, special goodies worthy of being cited and celebrated. Let us now look at some of them.
1. Divine Benefits. The Psalmist confirmed this when he said: ”Blessed be the Lord, Who daily loads us with benefits…” (Psalm 68:19). These benefits include life (1 John 5:11), healing (Exodus 15:26), food (Psalm 136:25), salvation (2 Corinthians 6:1-2), etc. And I suppose they are good enough to motivate us to rejoice and be glad daily.
2. Divine Help. God confirmed His willingness to help us like this: ”For I, the LORD your God, will hold your right hand, Saying to you, ‘Fear not, I will help you” (Isaiah 41:13). Without doubt, this is another good reason why we ought to rejoice and be glad each day.
3. Divine Strength. God promised us divine strength in Isaiah 41:10 by saying: ”Fear not, for I am with you; Be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you…”. I read this passage recently and I concluded without hesitation, that its contents are superb enough to make us rejoice and be glad day to day. And I stand to be corrected!
4. Divine Protection. Prophet Isaiah verified the availability of Divine Protection for us in Isaiah 59:19. He said: ”…When the enemy comes in like a flood, The Spirit of the LORD will lift up a standard against him”. Isn’t this another credible reason to rejoice and be glad day after day? I sure think it is!
5. Divine Joy and Peace. God assured us of these goodies as follows: ”For you shall go out with joy, And be led out with peace…;” (Isaiah 55:12). This is a very uplifting declaration and no one can blame us if we rejoice and be glad because of it on a daily basis.
As you can see, all the goodies mentioned above, among many others, are very solid and breath-taking and they are available to humanity 24/7. I sincerely believe if you are one of those thinking there is nothing to rejoice and be glad about in any day nowadays, you’ll have a positive change of heart after reading through this write up. You too can have the goodies and more if you wish but you have to ask God for them first and guess what? You’ll have them unquestionably (Mathew 7:7). Then, you’ll have good reasons to rejoice and be glad all day long, day by day; all the days of your life in Jesus name. Amen.
Jesus is Lord!