Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego (Daniel 1:1-3:30) were young Jewish men who served with their comrade, Daniel, in the palace of king Nebuchadnezzar in Babylon. They were exceptionally gifted, strikingly good looking and God fearing and owing to their sterling qualities, they got rapid promotion to the highest echelon of governance in Babylon.
At a time, the king made an image of gold and ordered everyone to fall down and worship it at the sound of certain musical instruments. He also ordered that whoever disobeyed his instruction, should be thrown into a burning fiery furnace. But contrary to his expectation, the young men disobeyed him, instead they obeyed God’s commandment which says: ”You shall not make for yourself a carved image …; 5 you shall not bow down to them nor serve them…” (Exodus 20:4-5). And for this reason, they were bound and thrown into the burning furnace but God saved them.
Above popular account contains some model benefits that come with obeying God. Let us go into them in turn.
1. Divine Protection. Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego were thrown into the burning fiery furnace but four men, all unbound and unscathed, were later spotted in it; the fourth being like the Son of God. That means Jesus was on hand to protect them. This confirms what the bible says in Isaiah 43:2 viz., ”…When you walk through the fire, you shall not be burned, Nor shall the flame scorch you”. Friend, as you walk through the ‘fires’ of life each day please, choose to obey God and He’ll protect you all the way through in Jesus name. Amen.
2. Divine Promotion. The young men were summarily promoted after disobeying the king’s commandment and obeying God’s. Please let us not be under any illusion that their promotion was initiated by King Nebuchadnezzar. No it wasn’t! As a matter of fact, it was from God and the Psalmist corroborated this clear as follows: ”… 6 For promotion cometh neither from the east, nor from the west, nor from the south. 7 But God is the judge: he putteth down one, and setteth up another” (Psalm 75:6-7). Therefore, if you genuinely desire promotion in any area of your life, for example, your health, family, education, professional calling, ministry, finance, business, etc., please pray to God about it as from now on. Obey whatever He tells you about it strictly as well, and you’ll have it in Jesus name. Amen.
3. Divine Blessings. Their willingness to obey God and the resultant promotion must have enabled them to enjoy loads of breath-taking blessings in Babylon. This proves that Isaiah 1:19 is right. It says: ”If you are willing and obedient, You shall eat the good of the land’’. Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego were willing and obedient, and they ate the good of the land of Babylon. If you are willing and obedient too, you shall eat the good of the land where you are domiciled in Jesus name. Amen.
4. Divine Evangelism. The King was astonished when he discovered that the Jewish young men were unharmed inside the burning fiery furnace, so he blessed God, and made a critical pronouncement compelling his citizens to transfer their allegiance to God with immediate effect. In Daniel 3:28-29, he said: ”Blessed be the God of Shadrach, Meshach, and Abed-Nego, who sent His Angel and delivered His servants who trusted in Him, and they have frustrated the king’s word, and yielded their bodies, that they should not serve nor worship any god except their own God! 29 Therefore I make a decree that any people, nation, or language which speaks anything amiss against the God of Shadrach, Meshach, and Abed-Nego shall be cut in pieces, and their houses shall be made an ash heap; because there is no other God who can deliver like this”. This is a divinely engineered Evangelism! If you make it a priority to obey God too, you will be noticed someday, and people will glorify God through you, and transfer their allegiance to Him: ”Let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven” (Matthew 5:16).
5. Heavenly Joy. I believe a lot of souls must have been won for God because of the king’s heartfelt pronouncement, and there must have been great rejoicing in Heaven as a result: ”Likewise, I say to you, there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents” (Luke 15:10). No doubt, that was a huge feat, which you too can replicate it if you win souls for God.
6. Heavenly Rewards. I believe a lot of souls must have been won for God because of the king’s heartfelt pronouncement, and there must have been great rejoicing in Heaven as a result: ”Likewise, I say to you, there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents’’ (Luke 15:10). I also believe that the young men must have been suitably rewarded in Heaven: ”Do not be deceived, God is not mocked; for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap. 8 For he who sows to his flesh will of the flesh reap corruption, but he who sows to the Spirit will of the Spirit reap everlasting life” (Galatians 6:7-8). Likewise, if you win souls for God on earth, be rest assured that it shall be counted as a big deal for you (Proverbs 11:30), and you will be adequately rewarded also in Jesus name. Amen.
As you can see from above, it is advantageous to obey God at all times so; I encourage you to do more in this regard henceforth so that you can partake in the resultant massive benefits. If God asks you to serve Him more, please obey Him, if He asks you to change your job, obey Him; if He wants you to start a specific business, obey Him; if He asks you to propose to a particular sister or to accept a marriage proposal from a brother; Obey Him; if He asks you to study a particular course or to learn a particular trade, obey Him; if He asks you to change your location so that you situation can change, please obey Him; etc. and in the end, you’ll have every reason to rejoice in Jesus name. Amen.
Jesus is Lord!
C Adedayo Stoney Adegbulu, 2010